APCA 2023 Call for Proposals
Communication Studies in the Age of AI: Research Trends, Issues, and Opportunities
The Asia-Pacific Communication Alliance (APCA) and Asian Network for Public Opinion Research (ANPOR) are pleased to announce the 2023 APCA-ANPOR Conference, to be held in Beijing, China from November 4-6, 2023, and in Manila, Philippines from December 4-6, 2023.
The conference theme is “Communication Studies in the Age of AI: Research Trends, Issues, and Opportunities.” This theme reflects the growing importance of artificial intelligence (AI) in the field of communication studies. Recent advancements in artificial intelligence (AI) have led to more robust and consequential AI technologies being integrated across daily and work lives through innovative communication technologies. Media providers now use AI-enabled technologies to produce and distribute news within the industry. Communication scholars are paying greater attention to understanding increasingly life-like and communicative AI technologies, people’s interactions with them, and their implications. Many studies focus on creating meaning among humans and machines and refining and developing theories related to people’s interactions.
We invite submissions from scholars and researchers who are working on AI and communication. We welcome proposals on a wide range of topics, including, but not limited to:
- The impact of AI on communication processes, technologies, and content
- The current state of artificial intelligence research in the presenter’s country, professional association, field, and so on.
- The ethical and policy implications of AI in communication
- The future of communication studies in the age of AI
- How artificial text generators (e.g., ChatGPT) affect the future of media and communication research.
- Important areas for future study in the field of communication in the age of AI.
Scholars and students are invited to present on the role of communication studies in the age of AI. Presentations should be 20 minutes long and should be accompanied by a 5-minute question-and-answer session.
The deadline for submissions is September 30, 2023.
Abstracts and Extended Abstracts will be accepted via the Online Submission form.
- The word limit for the abstract is between 200 and 250 words.
- Keywords should have 3-5 words.
- An abstract must be submitted online via the website. ABSTRACT SUBMITTED BY EMAIL WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- All submissions must include a structured abstract following the format indicated below: Four sub-headings and their accompanying explanations must be included: Purpose, Design/Methodology, Findings, and Originality.
- Notification of acceptance will be given after the abstract is reviewed and accepted. Then, register for the Conference online via the website.
- Your submission should be submitted in ENGLISH.
- Participate in the Beijing Conference on November 4-6, 2023.
- The manuscript should contain a minimum of 4,000 words and should not exceed 5,000 words.
- The file should be in Microsoft Office (.doc/.docx) format.
- Prospective authors are invited to submit full text papers including abstract, keywords, introduction, methodology, result description, tables, figures, and references.
- Before submitting your paper, please ensure that it has been carefully read for typographical and grammatical errors.
- All full paper submissions will be peer reviewed and evaluated based on originality, technical and/or research content/depth, correctness, relevance to Conference, contributions, and readability.
- English is the official language of the Conference; the paper should be written and presented both in English.
- Ethical Standards: Articles submitted to the Conference should report original, previously unpublished research findings, experimental or theoretical, and should not be considered for publication elsewhere. We strongly believe that ethical behavior is the most important virtue of any academic. Consequently, any act of plagiarism is completely inappropriate academic misconduct and cannot be tolerated.
Photography, Audio, and Video Recording
By attending this event, you acknowledge and agree that APCA and ANPOR have the right to use, reproduce, broadcast, rebroadcast, or incorporate in any manner whatsoever all or any portion of photographs and/or videos of you or your participation in the event for use in marketing materials and/or training materials and internal use.
No individual or entity other than APCA and ANPOR may electronically record, copy (including live-streaming or recording from smartphones, tablets, or other handheld devices) any portion of this program for any use without prior written consent from APCA and ANPOR.